• Home
  • / Check
  • / For your business or organisation

For your business or organisation

With a TV Licence, your organisation can enjoy TV legally – whatever your staff, customers and visitors watch it on.

If your staff or customers watch live TV without being covered by a TV Licence, your business is committing a criminal offence.

As the owner, director, manager – or simply the one your colleagues rely on to make sure your organisation stays on the right side of the law – it’s your responsibility to buy a TV Licence when one’s needed.

A licence costs £145.50. If your organisation has just one premises you’ll need a single TV Licence to cover all TVs used at the site. If you have multiple premises, you may need a Company Group TV Licence. We know you’ve a lot to deal with when you’re running an organisation, so we’ve made it quick and easy to buy your licence online.

You can also find out about different types of businesses or organisations to make sure you are correctly covered.

What does a single TV Licence cover?

Your business needs a TV Licence if anyone on your premises watches or records programmes as they are being shown on TV.

A single TV Licence covers all devices used at a single site – including TVs, laptops, computers, mobile phones and DVD/VHS recorders.

A single site includes any building, vehicle, vessel or caravan being used for the same business purpose.

What doesn’t a single TV Licence cover?
Residential accommodation within your premises For example, staff living on site.
Welfare or social clubs When these are on the premises, but are run independently of your business.
Other businesses or organisations When the premises are sublet by your business or organisation.
Hospitality areas at any place apart from a hotel Find out about the special rules for rooms, boxes and other places used for guest entertainment and events.
How do I cover multiple premises?

The easiest way to cover multiple addresses or offices is with a Company Group TV Licence.

Simply send us the list of addresses with the total payment (£145.50 per address). There are no forms to fill in or qualifying criteria. You only need to make one yearly payment, and you’ll receive only one reminder at one address. You can pay in full by BACS, or by sending a cheque (payable to TV Licensing) to:

TV Licensing Hotel & Company Group Licensing Darlington DL98 1TL

Call us on 0300 790 6165 to buy a licence or find out more.

There are different rules for hotels, hostels, mobile units and campsites. Please see how you're affected if your business operates premises like these.

What happens if my business moves to new premises?

If your business is moving to a new address, you’ll need to move your TV Licence too. Simply change the address of your TV Licence online, up to three months before you move. You just need your TV Licence number.

You can also update other details online at the same time. For example, your business email address, telephone number or the name of the person responsible for managing the TV Licence.

What don’t I need a TV Licence for?
Devices that are only used for CCTV or playing DVDs or videos For example, for training purposes.
TV watched on a laptop or mobile owned by an employee, customer or visitor This only applies when the device is powered solely by its internal batteries, as it’s then the user’s responsibility to cover it with their own TV Licence. If the device is plugged into the mains on your premises then your business may need to be covered by a licence. Please call us on 0300 790 6165 to find out more or buy your licence.
Watching ‘catch-up’ TV or ‘video clips’ You don’t need a TV Licence to watch on-demand services, like those on YouTube. However, some television websites – like iPlayer and ITV Player – offer live TV as well as on-demand TV. If anyone on your business premises watches live TV, they’ll need to be covered by a TV Licence.

If your organisation doesn't need a TV Licence, please let us know. Then we can remove your organisation from our list of unlicensed addresses. We may visit to confirm this.

Make sure your organisation is correctly covered. Follow the links below for more information.