I’m moving abroad – how do I cancel my licence?

If you’re no longer going to be living in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man and you won’t need your licence again before it expires, you can cancel your licence and request a refund.

How to request a refund

You can usually request a refund for every three months left on your licence. This means you could be refunded for three, six or nine months. See how we work out refunds. To request a refund, fill in our online refund form.

How to cancel your licence without a refund

If you’re not eligible for a refund, you can still cancel your licence.

  • If you pay by Direct Debit, use our Contact us form (in step 2 of the form click the 'Contact us' button at the bottom) telling us when you’ll be moving.
  • Once you’ve cancelled your licence, make sure you cancel your Direct Debit with your bank.
  • If you pay with a TV Licensing payment card, please call us on 0300 555 0286*.

When you get in touch, please tell us:

  • your old and new address,
  • why you no longer need a licence

Find out more about letting us know you don't need your TV Licence.

*Calls to our 0300 numbers cost no more than a national rate call to an 01 or 02 number, whether from a mobile or landline. If you get inclusive minutes with your mobile, calls to an 0300 number will be included.

General information about TV Licensing is available in other languages: