Request a TV Licence refund

Our refund policy is changing. We’re changing how we calculate refunds from 1 April 2017.

You can request a refund for your TV Licence if:

  • you won’t need your licence again before it expires,
  • you have three months or more left on it*, and
  • less than two years have passed since the date the licence expired*.

* This does not apply if you are over 75 or blind. You can apply for a refund for any length of time left on your licence, and no matter how long ago you turned 75 or became blind.

Refund form checklist

1.Fill in the online refund form, ensuring you include the name on your TV Licence, address and postcode. You should also include the date from when you no longer need the licence.

2.If you pay for your licence by Direct Debit, please don’t cancel it. We will do this for you when we arrange your refund.

If you are asked to provide evidence:

3.If you are asked to provide evidence please print out the form, or save it to print later, and sign it. Please remember that we can’t return original documents, so only send us photocopies and printouts. If you don’t have a printer, please contact us and we will post a refund form to you.

4.Send your completed refund form and relevant evidence to this address: The Refund Centre, TV Licensing, Darlington DL98 1TL. We aim to process and issue refunds within 21 days of receiving the application.

Once you have completed the refund form, you may need to print it out or save it to print later.

What evidence will I need to provide?

You may need to provide evidence that supports your request. The dates on the evidence must be the same as the date you are requesting the refund from.

Find out about the different types of evidence we accept below. Along with photocopies, we also accept letters in the form of printed emails or webpages.

A tenancy agreement

This must be the section of the tenancy agreement showing the name of the tenant(s), name and address of the landlord or the letting agent, and the address of the property you are moving from. It should also show the start and end dates or termination clause of the tenancy.

A council tax bill

This must show the dates that the address was empty.

A property completion statement

This must show the date the property was sold, i.e. the completion date, and be on official solicitor’s headed paper.

A final water bill

The only utility bills we can accept are water bills. It must quote ‘Your final bill’, show the final date you were billed and the address of the property you have left.

Proof that you were paying for more than one licence

This could be a bank statement, credit card statement or TV Licence(s)

Confirmation of attendance at college/university

This must show your term dates at college or university.

A Ministry of Defence (MOD) letter

This must be on MOD headed paper, signed by the Senior Officer and show the date of departure or termination from the UK, Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.

A holiday home’s opening and closing dates

This must be on official headed paper, showing the open and close dates of the holiday home. This will confirm that you won’t be watching or recording programmes as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service at both properties at the same time.

A solicitor’s letter

This must be signed on solicitor’s headed paper and show the date from which the circumstance was effective.

A redirection confirmation letter from Royal Mail

This must show the date when the mail started being redirected and must have the name of the licence holder on the letter. It must also show both the old and new addresses.

A letter confirming admission into either a hospital or care home

This must be signed on hospital or care home headed paper and show the date of admission.

Proof that someone aged 75 or over is now living at the address

This could be a photocopy of a medical card, pension letter, local government or council letter, NHS or doctor’s letter, pension book or any document on official headed paper that clearly shows the date when the person aged 75 or over moved into the address. We cannot accept bank statements.

What should I do if I have no evidence?

You can still send the refund application form to us. However, if you can’t supply any evidence to support your request, and you are eligible for a refund, you will only be refunded for three months. We will normally process the refund from the date we receive your application.

How long will my refund take?

We aim to process and issue refunds within 21 days of receiving the refund application form.

Your refund may be delayed if we have to write to you for more information.

How early can I apply for a refund?

You can apply up to 14 days before the date you no longer need your licence.

Is there a time limit for applying for a refund?

It’s best to apply once you no longer need your TV Licence, but you can apply within two years of the expiry date of the licence. You may need to provide proof of payment if the application is near this two-year limit.

If you are entitled to a free over 75 TV Licence or a blind concessionary licence, the two-year time limit does not apply to your refund request.

How much could I be refunded?

For a full colour TV Licence of £145.50, you could be eligible for:

£109.12 for a nine-month refund
£72.75 for a six-month refund
£36.37 for a three-month refund

How can I find out when my TV Licence expires?

You can sign in and view your licence online. To do this you’ll need to enter your licence number, last name, and postcode.

Find out how to get your licence number

If you still have questions take a look at TV Licensing FAQs where you can find all the answers in one place.

General information about TV Licensing is available in other languages: