Hotels, hostels, mobile units and campsites

Hotels, hostels, campsites and mobile units must be covered by a valid TV Licence if staff or customers:

  • watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
  • watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
  • download or watch any BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer.

This applies to any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

Find out more about watching live TV.

A single TV Licence costing £159 will cover up to 15 accommodation units on a single site. If you have more than 15 units, there is an additional fee for every five extra units (or fewer).

Mobile units or other areas where a TV receiver is installed or used must also be covered by a TV Licence.

Definitions of ‘accommodation unit’, and ‘mobile unit’ and ‘site’

Accommodation units

This is a room, caravan, tent or moveable dwelling. The majority of accommodation offered must be for fewer than 28 consecutive nights. If the majority of accommodation you offer is for guests who stay longer than 28 consecutive nights, you may still qualify for a reduced fee TV Licence as a provider of mobile units (see below).

Mobile units

This is overnight accommodation that can move easily from one location to another and where accommodation offered is to guests irrespective of the length of stay. Each mobile unit needs to be provided to guests by the same person and operated from the same place.

Usually a mobile unit has:

  • Its own wheels or wheels that can be easily attached
  • A motor, or a motor that can be easily attached


If a public road, highway or railway divides your premises, this creates two or more separate sites. You need a separate licence for each site. Buildings on the same premises, but under separate ownership, also need separate licences.

Cost of a hotel and mobile units TV Licence

Your licence fee will be based on the number of accommodation or mobile units you offer where a TV receiver is installed or used.

To cover up to 15 units

You only need to pay one fee of £159

To cover more than 15 units

You pay one fee for the first 15 units and an additional fee of £159 for every extra 5 units (or fewer).

Apply for a hotel and mobile units TV Licence


Please complete the online form, print and return it to us at:

TV Licensing
Payments and Commercial Licensing
DL98 1TL


How to pay

You can pay for your hotel and mobile units TV Licence by cheque or BACS electronic transfer. You must pay the licence fee in full as there is no facility to spread the cost.

Pay by BACS electronic transfer

Your bank will require the following details about TV Licensing’s account:

  • Bank: National Westminster
  • Account name: Capita Business Services - BBC TV Licensing
  • Sort code: 60-80-09
  • Account number: 30287545
  • Reference: Your reference number

If you are an existing customer, your nine digit reference number is your licence number, which can be found on any correspondence from us. If you are a new customer, a reference number will be provided when you complete the online application form.

Pay by cheque

Make this payable to 'TV Licensing' and send it, along with your completed application form, to:

TV Licensing
Payments and Commercial Licensing
DL98 1TL

You don’t need a TV Licence if

TV sets are only used for:

  • Watching on demand or catch up programmes on services other than BBC iPlayer
  • Watching S4C TV on demand
  • Streaming, renting or buying movies from providers like Sky, Virgin Media, BT TV, Netflix or Amazon
  • Watching DVDs, Blu-rays or videos
  • Playing internet video clips through services like YouTube or to play video games
  • CCTV.

Tell us you don't need a TV Licence

Refunds for hotel licences

A refund is available for a hotel licence if it has been purchased in error or if the hotel is closing down. The licence must not be needed again during the licence period and refunds will be paid for unused months.

To apply for a refund under these circumstances please write to:

Hotels and Company Group Licensing Department
TV Licensing
DL98 1TL

Please use your hotel headed paper and include relevant evidence of the hotel's closure, such as a bill of sale or final utility bill.

If you still have questions take a look at TV Licensing FAQs where you can find all the answers in one place.

TV Licence for businesses & organisationsLink for TV Licence for businesses & organisations

TV Licensing topics

Find the answers to your questions with these popular topics.

View all

TV Licence fee calculator

Work out exactly how much to pay. Just enter the number of units of accommodation or mobile units with TV receivers and click on 'Calculate' to find out how much your TV Licence will cost.

Number of units requiring

Need a black and white TV Licence?

Need a black and white TV Licence? Call us on 0300 790 6165.


General information about TV Licensing is available in other languages: