I'm a lodger - do I need a TV Licence?

You don’t need a TV Licence if you’re a lodger and have a relationship with the homeowner – for example, a family member, common law partner, a nanny, au pair or housekeeper. You’re covered by the homeowner’s TV Licence if they have one, but only if you live in the same building.

If you live in self-contained accommodation (separate flat or annex) and have a separate tenancy agreement you need your own TV Licence to:

  • watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service
  • download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer - live, catch up or on demand.

Pay for a TV Licence

If you are unsure whether this applies to your particular circumstances see our tenants and lodgers page.

General information about TV Licensing is available in other languages: