What to do if the licence holder dies

The death of someone is always a difficult time. Bereavement affects people in different ways. If the licence holder has died and you need to report it, we try and make it as simple as possible to make the necessary changes to the TV Licence.

What if a TV Licence is still needed at the address?

Anyone who was living with the deceased licence holder will still be covered by the current TV Licence.

You can change the ownership of the TV Licence by contacting us. Please let us know the title, initial, last name, address and licence number (where possible) of the deceased person along with the name of the person still living at the address. Future correspondence about the licence will be addressed to them.

You can let us know these details:

  • Emailing us (using our 'Contact us' form)
  • OR
  • Writing to us at: Customer Services, TV Licensing, Darlington, DL98 1TL

What if the licence is a free over 75 TV Licence?

The free over 75 TV Licence will remain valid until the licence expires.

If the person still living at the address will not be over 75 then we just need to know their name. We will send a renewal at the appropriate time. You can do this by using our Contact us form.

You can also call us with the details on 0300 790 6165*. Find out more information on call centre opening times.

If anyone else living at the property is 74 or over and receives Pension Credit, they could be entitled to apply for a free over 75 TV Licence.

What if the TV Licence needs to be cancelled?

There may be a refund due to the estate. Refunds are calculated in unused months. You must have at least one complete month left on the licence that you won’t need before it expires.

If you are an executor for the estate please request a refund online.

To just cancel the licence, you can cancel online now.

Is a copy of the death certificate required?

A copy of the death certificate is not needed.

How do I update the Direct Debit details?

If the bank account details for a Direct Debit need to be changed. Please write to us to do this at Customer Services, TV Licensing, Darlington, DL98 1TL.

Please include these details in the letter when you let us know the name of the deceased person. The bank account holder must also sign the letter.

If you still have questions take a look at TV Licensing FAQs where you can find all the answers in one place.

*Calls to our 0300 numbers cost no more than a national rate call to an 01 or 02 number, whether from a mobile or landline. If you get inclusive minutes, calls to an 0300 number will be included free of charge.

Help us improve TV Licensing

Is this page useful?
Icon: helpful (Thumbs up)
Icon: helpful (thumbs up)
Icon: not helpful (Thumbs down)
Icon: not helpful (Thumbs down)


Your feedback is valuable to us. Please don’t include personal or financial
information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.


Thank you !    

General information about TV Licensing is available in other languages: