I’m moving in with someone who already has a TV licence. How do I cancel my licence?

If someone at your new address already has a TV Licence that will cover you, you can cancel your licence up to two weeks before you move.

You will normally be covered if the other person is your spouse, partner, family member or joint tenancy or joint mortgage holder. If you’ll be a tenant or lodger at the new address, you will need your own licence. In this case you should move your licence to your new address.

How to request a refund

You can request a refund up to two weeks before you move. If we approve your refund, your licence will be cancelled automatically.

Claim a refund online

Find out how we work out refunds

How to cancel your licence

If you’re not eligible for a refund, you can still cancel your licence.

  • If you pay by Direct Debit or all in one go, you can cancel your licence online
  • Once you’ve done this, make sure you cancel your Direct Debit with your bank, if this is how you pay.
  • If you pay with a TV Licensing payment card you will need contact us.

Cancel your TV Licence online

General information about TV Licensing is available in other languages: