I’m moving into a care home. Do I need to cancel my licence?

Not if you’re taking your TV with you

If you’re the licence holder and you’re taking your TV to use in your own room, please move your licence to the care home address to ensure you are covered. You can do this by updating your details online. Don’t know your licence number?

If you would like us to update the licence for you, please Contact us letting us know:

  • Your licence number
  • Your old address
  • Your new address (the care home’s full postal address)
  • Your room number

Anyone living in your old home after you have moved the licence to the care home will need to buy a licence.


If you’re taking a TV but not moving the licence

Please talk to the care home administrator as soon as convenient. If your care home qualifies for an Accommodation for Residential Care (ARC) Concessionary TV Licence, the care home administrator can add you to the ARC scheme if you’re eligible. The administrator can then help you cancel your licence and request a refund.

To join your ARC scheme

Please ask your care home administrator who will write to let us know of the change to your TV Licence.

What you’ll need to join

  • Your TV Licence number (if you have one)
  • The date you moved into your new accommodation
  • Your old address

You’ll need to confirm one of the following:

  • you are over 60 and retired*
  • or you are disabled.

* not working more than 15 hours per week

Once we have received this information in a signed form from the person in charge of your scheme, you don't need to do anything else and you will be added to the scheme.



You can request a refund for any full months left to run on your licence.

If you paid for your licence by Direct Debit or TV Licensing payment card, your refund will be automatically processed.

If you paid for your licence in one single payment your care home administrator will fill in the relevant refund form for you. Please ask your administrator to write to us at:

Concessionary Licensing Centre
TV Licensing
DL98 1TL

See also:

Cancellations and refunds

Care home residents

Residential care homes

General information about TV Licensing is available in other languages: