How can I get a refund?

Customers who have been affected by the Bilsdale transmitter fire can check our dedicated page for the latest information.

You can apply for a refund up to 14 days before the date you no longer need the TV Licence. If your licence has already expired, you can apply if less than two years have passed since the expiry date.

How do I apply?

There’s a short form to fill in and we may ask for evidence to support your refund request. Please take a look at our refund form checklist to ensure your request is submitted correctly. If we ask you to provide evidence, please send your completed form, signed with relevant evidence to this address:

The Refund Centre
TV Licensing
DL98 1TL

What happens next?

We aim to process and issue refunds within 21 days of receiving your application. Any refund due to you will be paid to you by either a cheque or by BACS transfer directly into your bank account.

Request a refund

If you’d like a refund form in Welsh, you may download and print the PDF below to complete and return to us.

Refund form - Welsh (PDF 518 KB opens in a new window)

If we approve your refund, your licence will be cancelled automatically. If you’re not eligible for a refund, you can still cancel your licence.

Moving home?

Remember – if you’re moving home, you should move your licence rather than ask for a refund.

When does my licence expire?

To find out, you can sign in to your licence with your licence number, name on the licence and postcode. Find out how to get your licence number

Find out how we work out refunds

General information about TV Licensing is available in other languages: