I’ve missed a payment card payment. What should I do?

We know that some customers find paying the licence fee difficult. We will do all we can to help.

If you pay for your licence with a payment card, (part of our cash plans scheme), and have:

  • missed a payment; or
  • are having trouble with your payment schedule; or
  • have a question about your payments,

You must contact us to let us know as soon as possible by calling 0300 555 0286*. Lines are open 8:30am to 6:30pm Monday to Friday.

If you have fallen behind with previous instalments, your next payments will pay off your missed payments until you are up to date.

I’ve just paid but you’ve sent me a text reminder

Thank you for your payment. Your reminder may have been sent out before your last payment was processed and it may take 48 hours from the time you make your payment for it to appear on your payment history.

How to pay


You can make a payment online with your debit or credit card. You can also view your last 10 payments, and make any payments you have missed when you sign in to view your licence and payment history.

When making payments on www.tvlicensing.co.uk or via our automated phone service your card details are not stored.

Via our mobile app
  1. Download the TVL Pay app for free on your mobile from the App Store or Google Play.
  2. Register or pay as a guest with your TV Licensing payment card
  3. Make a payment towards your TV Licence using your debit or credit card.
  4. Choose to receive your payment confirmations by text message or email.
With a phone call

Please call our 24/7 payment line on 0300 555 0298*.

When you make a payment in the call centre, your debit or credit card details will be stored on our secure system until your card expires. We will not process any payments without further instruction from you.

By text message

If you’ve paid by debit or credit card before, you can pay by text and your card securely stored and encrypted. Here’s how it works.

Text PAY followed by the customer number on your card and the amount you want to pay to 64488. For example: PAY 123456789 6.00

To opt out, text STOP 123456789 to 64488.

We’ll never ask you for your full debit or credit card details by text.

If you haven’t paid by debit or credit card before, please call 0300 555 0286* to set up text payments.

All texts are charged at your standard rate set by your mobile phone provider, and none of this money goes to TV Licensing.

At any PayPoint store

There are around 28,000 UK PayPoint stores where you can make payments by debit card or cash. You’ll need your payment card with you. To check disabled access, please call 0800 310 0000. PayPoint is not available in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man, but you can pay at your local post office.

Find your nearest PayPoint store

Would you like some more help?

More help is available if you’re struggling to pay for your TV Licence.

*Calls to our 0300 numbers cost no more than a national rate call to an 01 or 02 number, whether from a mobile or landline. If you get inclusive minutes, calls to an 0300 number will be included free of charge.


General information about TV Licensing is available in other languages: