Request a TV Licence refund

Customers who have been affected by the Bilsdale transmitter fire can check our dedicated page for the latest information.

You can request a refund for your TV Licence if:

  • you won’t need your licence again before it expires, and you have at least one complete month left on it
  • Your licence expired less than two years ago*.

* If you’re eligible for an over 75 or blind concession, you can apply at any time and for any length of time left on your licence.

Working out precise refund amounts can be complicated. But we will do it for you. We’ll look carefully at the information you give us and let you know if we can offer you a refund, and how much it will be.

Want more detail? Find out more about how we work out refunds. Or you can read our refund policy.

Refund form checklist

If you are asked to provide evidence:

  1. Fill in the online refund form, ensuring you include the name on your TV Licence, address and postcode. You should also include the date from when you no longer need the licence.
  2. If you pay for your licence by Direct Debit, please don’t cancel it. We will do this for you when we arrange your refund.
  3. If you are asked to provide evidence please print out the form, or save it to print later, and sign it. Please remember that we can’t return original documents, so only send us photocopies and printouts. If you don’t have a printer, contact us and we will post a refund form to you.
  4. Send your completed refund form and relevant evidence to this address: The Refund Centre, TV Licensing, Darlington DL98 1TL. We aim to process and issue refunds within 21 days of receiving the application.

Once you have completed the refund form, you will need to print it out or save it to print later.

The Cancellation and Refund form is also available in Welsh.

Welsh Cancellation and Refund form

What evidence will I need to provide?

You may need to provide evidence that supports your request. The dates on the evidence must reflect the time you’re requesting the refund for.

Find out about the different types of evidence we accept below. Along with photocopies, we also accept letters in the form of printed emails or webpages.

A tenancy agreement

This must be the section of the tenancy agreement showing the name of the tenant(s), name and address of the landlord or the letting agent, and the address of the property you are moving from. It should also show the start and end dates or termination clause of the tenancy.

A council tax bill

This must show the dates that the address was empty.

A property completion statement

This must show the date the property was sold, i.e. the completion date, and be on official solicitor’s headed paper.

A final water bill

The only utility bills we can accept are water bills. It must quote ‘Your final bill’, show the final date you were billed and the address of the property you have left.

Proof that you were paying for more than one licence

This could be a bank statement, credit card statement or TV Licence(s)

Confirmation of attendance at college/university

This must show your term dates at college or university.

A Ministry of Defence (MOD) letter

This must be on MOD headed paper, signed by the Senior Officer and show the date of departure or termination from the UK, Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.

A holiday home’s opening and closing dates

This must be on official headed paper, showing the open and close dates of the holiday home. This will confirm that you won’t be watching or recording programmes as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service at both properties at the same time.

A solicitor’s letter

This must be signed on solicitor’s headed paper and show the date from which the circumstance was effective.

A redirection confirmation letter from Royal Mail

This must show the date when the mail started being redirected and must have the name of the licence holder on the letter. It must also show both the old and new addresses.

A letter confirming admission into either a hospital or care home

This must be signed on hospital or care home headed paper and show the date of admission.

Proof that someone aged 75 or over is now living at the address

This could be a photocopy of a medical card, pension letter, local government or council letter, NHS or doctor’s letter, pension book or any document on official headed paper that clearly shows the date when the person aged 75 or over moved into the address. We cannot accept bank statements.

What should I do if I have no evidence?

You can still send the refund application form to us. However, if you can’t supply any evidence to support your request, and you are eligible for a refund, you will only be refunded for up to three months. We will normally process the refund from the date we receive your application.

How long will my refund take?

We aim to process and issue refunds within 21 days of receiving the refund application form.

Your refund may be delayed if we have to write to you for more information.

How early can I apply for a refund?

You can apply up to 14 days before the date you no longer need your licence.

Can I request a refund for a licence that has already expired?

If you are asking for a refund on a licence that has expired, less than two years must have passed since the licence expiry date.

This does not apply if you are over 75 or blind. You can apply for a refund for any length of time left on your licence, and no matter how long ago you became eligible for an over 75 or blind concession.

How can I find out when my TV Licence expires?

You can sign in and view your licence online. To do this you’ll need to enter your licence number, last name, and postcode.

Find out how to get your licence number

I am moving abroad, can I claim a refund?

If you no longer live in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man, and you don't need the licence again before it expires, you could be entitled to a refund. I am moving abroad.

I am moving into a care home, can I claim a refund?

Please talk to the care home administrator as soon as convenient. If your care home qualifies for an Accommodation for Residential Care (ARC) Concessionary TV Licence, the care home administrator can add you to the ARC scheme if you’re eligible. The administrator can then help you cancel your licence and request a refund. I am moving into a care home.

If you still have questions take a look at TV Licensing FAQs where you can find all the answers in one place.

General information about TV Licensing is available in other languages: