Who is responsible for the TV Licence in a rented or shared house?

It is always the tenants’ responsibility unless the tenancy agreement states that the landlord is responsible.

If you live in a shared house, it may also depend on whether there is a joint tenancy agreement or not. If each tenant has their own tenancy agreement, they would each need a TV Licence for their room.

Shared house joint tenancy

If you've signed a joint tenancy agreement with your housemates, you will only need one TV Licence to cover all the devices in your house. If you don't have a licence, you risk prosecution and a fine plus any legal costs and/or compensation you may be ordered to pay.

Shared house multiple tenancies

If you've signed a separate tenancy agreement and watch TV in your room, you'll need your own licence. This licence will also cover communal areas.

Pay for a TV Licence

For more information visit our Tenants and lodgers page.

General information about TV Licensing is available in other languages: