Do I need a TV Licence for every TV in my household?

Typically, one TV Licence will allow use of TV equipment at the licensed address, by you, your family or any person working or visiting there.

You don’t need a TV Licence if you’re a lodger and have a relationship with the homeowner – for example, a family member, common law partner, a nanny, au pair or housekeeper.

You’re covered by the homeowner’s TV Licence if they have one, but only if you live in the same building. If you live in self-contained accommodation, such as a separate flat or annex, you need your own separate licence.

Pay for a TV Licence

For more information visit our Tenants and lodgers page.

General information about TV Licensing is available in other languages: