Pub landlord reminder to avoid TV Licence penalty during Six Nations tournament

With rugby’s Six Nations Championship kicking off on 1 February, TV Licensing together with the British Institute of Innkeeping (BII) is advising all pub landlords and managers across the home nations to check they are covered by a TV Licence if they plan to show the contest.

Fans across the UK will be making a beeline to pubs and bars to watch their teams in action. Ahead of the competition, this is a reminder to all pub owners and managers that they need to have a TV Licence to show any live games. A TV Licence is required for watching or recording any TV programmes on any channel, at the same time as they are broadcast, or for downloading or watching BBC programmes on iPlayer.1

TV Licensing’s enquiry officers will be visiting unlicensed pubs and bars throughout this year’s tournament, which runs until the 16 March. Those without a valid licence are breaking the law and run the risk of a court prosecution and fine of up to £1,000 per offence, plus costs.

Pubs and bars can purchase a TV Licence in minutes via an online form at or by calling the TV Licensing business team on 0300 790 6112.

A TV Licensing spokesman said:

To be fair to the majority who do pay the licence fee, we have to take action against those who try to get away with not paying. If any landlords or pub and bar managers would like more information about the licensing requirements, or ways to spread the cost, they can contact our call centre on 0300 790 6112 or visit A licence costs £150.50 and can be purchased in minutes online.

Mike Clist, Chairman of the British Institute of Innkeeping (BII), the leading professional body for UK’s licensees, said:

Watching sport in the pub is a great British tradition, and we are sure the Six Nations will prove no different. However, together with the BBC, we always like to remind licensees that they must have a current TV Licence in order to publicly show live sport legally.


1. If there is living accommodation on the premises where a TV is also in use, this must be covered by a separate licence.


General information about TV Licensing is available in other languages: