Landlords can avoid the sin bin with a TV Licence

With the 2013 RBS 6 Nations championship kicking off on Saturday 2 February, TV Licensing is reminding pubs and clubs across the home nations to make sure they are correctly covered by a TV Licence.

Any pub, bar or sports club which shows live television must be covered by a valid TV Licence. If there is living accommodation on the premises where a TV is also in use, this must be covered by a separate licence. Pubs without a valid licence are breaking the law and run the risk of a court prosecution and fine of up to £1,000 per offence plus costs.

Stephen Farmer, TV Licen sing spokesman, said:

With over 50,000 pubs and 2,600 rugby clubs* spread across the UK, watching live rugby and cheering on your country in the company of friends is a great way to spend a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. It’s important that pubs and clubs are correctly licensed and we know landlords and managers want to stay within the law. It is why we are issuing this advice ahead of the 2013 RBS 6 Nations tournament.

Brigid Simmonds, Chief Executive of the British Beer & Pub Association, added:

With the time pressures on busy pub lic ensees, it’s easy to overlook making sure your TV Licence for the premises is up to date. These days, live TV sport is now a hugely popular part of the British pub experience for millions of customers, so this is a timely reminder.

Landlords or managers who would like more information about TV Licensing requirements, or ways to spread the cost, can call the TV Licensing businesses team on 0300 790 6165 or visit


To arrange an interview, or for further information please contact the TV Licensing Press Office at or call 0208 752 6606

Notes to editors:

* Figure taken from International Rugby Board. For further details go to

General information about TV Licensing is available in other languages: