Welcome to The People’s Rules of Live TV
Inspired by TV lovers, we’ve made a list of the rules that make live viewing more enjoyable. But before you check them out, don’t forget the rule that makes live viewing legal.
Because, whatever live TV you enjoy – and no matter what channel, streaming service or device you’re watching on – you need to be covered by a TV Licence. It also covers you to watch BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer.
So, if you don’t already have a TV Licence, buy yours now.
Watch or record TV programmes live on any channel
(e.g. ITV, E4 or Dave - not just the BBC)?
Watch or record TV programmes live on any paid-for TV service
(e.g. Sky, Virgin or BT)?
Watch (or 'stream') TV programmes live on an online TV service
(e.g. ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV or Sky Go)?
Watch or record TV programmes live on foreign channels, via satellite or online streaming?
Download or watch any BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer?
This applies to any device you may use.
That way, you’ll be legally covered to enjoy all the drama of live TV. Like a last-minute penalty or soap cliffhanger. Or the uproar over a judge’s score. It’ll also cover you if you’re watching BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer.
All over the country, people who love live TV have their own rules when it comes to watching. Here are twenty of them. How many are rules in your home, too?
1. Sprint home for the start
2. Make sure dinner doesn’t clash with a celeb trial
3. Don’t miss a second
4. Never tune in to a baking show on an empty stomach
5. Limit loo breaks, to set breaks
6. Win or lose, it’s ok to cry
7. Strictly no talking over the judges
8. Every soap’s better with a cuppa
9. Lip sync like no one’s watching
10. Paper is allowed for the big words
11. Celebrate loud enough for the neighbours to hear
12. Make it a good innings on the sofa
13. Unpacking stops when your show starts
14. Refresh your island lingo
15. Matching the island vibe while watching is optional
16. Be there for every moment
17. Ignoring texts could spell trouble
18. With a new telly someone always hogs the remote
19. Tune in for TV gold
20. Cliffhangers are more gripping on a new TV