I'm a landlord - is it my responsibility to provide a TV Licence?

The TV Licence is the tenants’ responsibility, unless the tenancy agreement specifies that the landlord will provide the licence.

In a shared house with a joint tenancy, one TV Licence will cover the whole house.

In shared houses with multiple tenancies (HMO - houses of multiple occupancy) tenants with their own tenancy agreement will need a TV Licence for their room. Each licence will also cover the tenant watching TV in communal areas. Tenants not covered by a licence in their room will not be covered in communal areas.

If the property becomes empty, you can let us know and we’ll stop sending letters to the address for up to six months.

Pay for a TV Licence

For more information visit our Residential landlord page.

General information about TV Licensing is available in other languages: