TV Licensing issues pub and sports club reminder

With the 2014 RBS 6 Nations championship kicking off on Saturday 1 February, TV Licensing is reminding pubs and clubs across the home nations to make sure they are correctly covered by a TV Licence.

Any pub,club or sporting venue which shows live television must have a valid TV Licence. If there is living accommodation on the premises where a TV is also in use, this must be covered by a separate licence. Pubs without a valid licence are breaking the law and run the risk of a court prosecution and fine of up to £1,000 per offence plus costs.

Stephen Farmer, TV Licensing spokesman, said:

With around 49,500 pubs1 in the UK and over 2,600 rugby clubs2 across the UK and Ireland, many fans and supporters will choose to watch the matches in their local pub or rugby club, soaking up the atmosphere whilst cheering on their country’s finest 15.
It’s important pubs and clubs are correctly licensed and we know landlords and managers want to stay within the law, which is why we are issuing this advice ahead of the 2014 RBS 6 Nations tournament.

Martin Caffrey, Operations Director, Federation of Licensed Victuallers Association, added:

I would like to encourage landlords and licensees as well as bar and club managers to make sure they are up to date with their TV Licensing requirements ahead of what is always a busy time of year for the UK’s pubs and clubs. Showing live sport is a massive draw for millions of pub-goers so I’d urge those in charge of buying the TV Licence to check the bar is correctly licensed while they have the time. From Saturday 1 February things could get very busy.

Landlords or managers who would like more information about TV Licensing requirements, or ways to spread the cost, can call the TV Licensing businesses team on 0300 790 6165 or visit

A The embedded asset has been deleted:
Asset Type: TVLDocument
Asset Id: 1339697190590
PAGENAME: TVL/TVLDocument/TVLDocumentLink
is also available to help managers and landlords explain TV Licensing rules to staff in the workplace.


1 The Good Pub Guide 2014
2 Figure taken from International Rugby Board (opens in a new window)

General information about TV Licensing is available in other languages: