There's a lot to see at uni

There is a lot to see at uni, 12,366 Soaps, 13,262 Sports Programmes, 5,499 Music shows

There's always something on

Get covered to enjoy all this live TV for the equivalent of just 40p a day* - it's well worth it.

If you watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV – on your tablet, phone, laptop, TV or any other device – you need to be covered by a TV Licence. It’s the law.

You can pay for your licence in manageable instalments or choose different payment options. So, if you haven't got one, it's well worth getting it sorted right here.

* The equivalent daily value of a TV Licence for 1 year and not an actual payment method. TV programme numbers collated from BARB data from 1 May 2014 to 30 April 2015.

Frequently asked questions
Glow image

How much does a TV Licence cost?

A colour TV Licence costs £145.50. You can spread the cost and pay quarterly, monthly or weekly – or pay for the whole year upfront.

I don't have a TV - does that mean I don't need a licence?

The law says you need a licence to watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV, whatever device you use – a laptop, tablet, phone, games console, digital box, DVD/VHS recorder or anything else.

Won't my halls already be covered?

Your room needs to be covered by its own licence if you’re plugged in and watching or recording programmes as they’re being shown on TV – on any device. TVs in communal areas are probably already covered by your halls’ licence.

What if I live in a shared house?

You'll probably only need one licence between you if you have a joint tenancy agreement for the whole house – this is the most common type of shared house arrangement.

You might need your own licence if your accommodation is self-contained. That means you have exclusive access to washing facilities, or your own entrance to the property. You will also need your own licence if you have a separate tenancy agreement for your own room. If you're not sure, please contact us.

Won't my parents' licence cover me?

Your parents' licence will not cover you while you're away at uni unless you only use a device that's powered solely by its own internal batteries and not connected to the mains.

I really don't think I need a licence – what do I need to do?

If you don't watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV, or you only stream programmes online after they've been broadcast – through on demand services like YouTube, BBC iPlayer and 4oD – you don't need to be covered by a TV Licence. Alternatively, you may be covered by your parents’ licence.

If you think you don’t need a licence, please check that all of the following are true before getting in touch with us:

  1. Your out-of-term address is covered by a TV Licence
  2. AND you only use TV receiving equipment that is powered solely by its own internal batteries
  3. AND you have not connected it to an aerial or plugged it into the mains

We may pay you a quick visit to confirm that you definitely don't need a licence. We do this because when we do visit and make contact, we find that almost one in five people do need one.

What if I'm not at uni for the summer?

You could be eligible for a refund if you move out of your term-time address over the summer. This applies as long as your licence is still valid for at least three full calendar months when you leave, and if you won’t need it again before it expires.

Find out how to apply for a refund.

What if I change address?

Your licence won’t automatically move with you. Don’t worry – it’s easy to update us. Just let us know and you'll be sure you're covered.