Refund form advice

Where do I send the refund application form?

Our refund address is:

The Refund Centre
TV Licensing
DL98 1TL

What if I don't have a printer?

Please Contact us (in step 2 of the form click the 'Contact us' button at the bottom of the page) and we will post a form to you.

Does TV Licensing return original documents?

We are unable to return original documents, so please send photocopies.

What evidence will I need to provide?

You may need to provide evidence that supports the date from which you no longer needed a TV Licence. The dates on the evidence must be the same as the date you are claiming the refund from.

Here is a list of documents we accept as evidence. As we are unable to return original documents, please send photocopies. We also accept letters in the form of printed emails or website pages.

A final water bill We can only accept water bills. This must quote 'Your final bill' and show the final date you were billed.
A tenancy agreement This must be the tenancy agreement showing the name and address of the landlord, or the letting agent. It should also show the start, end or finish date of the tenancy.
A council tax bill This must show the dates that the address was unoccupied.
An executor's letter (acting on behalf of the deceased) This letter must confirm that you are the person dealing with the deceased licence holder's financial affairs/estate.
A property bill of sale or confirmation This must show the date the property was sold, i.e. the completion date.
Proof of duplicated payment history Examples would be a bank statement, credit card statement or TV Licence(s).
Confirmation of college terms This must show your finish dates at college.
A Ministry of Defence (MOD) letter The letter must be on MOD headed paper, signed by the Senior Officer and clearly show the date of UK departure or termination.
A holiday home's opening and closing dates This must be on official headed paper, showing the open and close dates of the holiday home.
A solicitor's letter The letter must be signed, on solicitor's headed paper and show the date the circumstance was effective from.
Proof that someone over 75 is now living at the address Examples would be a medical card, pension letter, local government or council letter, NHS or doctor's letter, pension book or any document on official headed paper that clearly shows the date when the over 75 person moved into the address. We cannot accept bank statements.
A re-direction confirmation letter from the Post Office This must show the date from which the mail was redirected and must have the name of the licence holder on the letter.
A letter confirming admission into either a hospital or care home The letter must be signed, must be on hospital or care home header paper and show the date of admission.
A Power of Attorney or a Court of Protection letter
The letter must be from an official source confirming that you are acting on behalf of the licence holder.
An eviction notice The letter must show the date the eviction is due/was due from. The letter must be from an official source.

Please note we cannot accept utility bills,with the exception of water, even if they state they are a final bill.

What should I do if I have no evidence?

You can still send the application form to us. However, if no evidence is supplied we will normally process the refund from the date we receive the application.

How long will I need to wait before I’m refunded?

A refund should be processed and issued within fourteen days of receiving the application.

Why might my refund be delayed?

In some cases we may have to write to you for more information. If the amount being refunded is large, the application may take slightly longer to process.

We are currently experiencing delays to our refund application process. We are working hard to resolve this issue and expect most refunds to be processed within 21 days. Thank you for your patience.

How early can I apply for a refund?

You can apply up to fourteen days before the date you no longer need the TV Licence.

Is there a time limit for applying for a refund?

It is best to apply at the time you no longer need the TV Licence, but you can apply within two years of the expiry date of the licence. You may need to provide proof of payment if the application is near the two year limit after the licence has expired.