Second home TV Licence

The law has changed. Your TV Licence now also covers you to download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer. Find out more

You may need to be covered by a separate TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV in your second home. This includes the use of devices such as a TV, computer, mobile phone, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

In some cases your main home’s TV Licence may cover your second home. However, you can’t move your licence to cover your second home while you’re there and then move it back again.

Please check below to see which types of second home need a separate licence.

You need a separate TV Licence for

Houses, flats, bungalows or cottages

You will need a separate TV Licence to watch or record TV in your second home.

You don’t need a separate TV Licence for

Any device powered solely by its own internal batteries (i.e. it is not connected to an aerial or plugged into the mains). Your main home’s TV Licence will cover this.

Boats, touring caravans or vehicles as they’re already covered by your main home’s TV Licence.

Static caravans, mobile homes or moveable chalets. Your main home’s TV Licence will cover you provided you don’t watch TV in both homes at the same time. In this case you would need to complete a Non-simultaneous use declaration form (PDF 17 Kb opens in a new window) .

If you still have questions take a look at TV Licensing FAQs where you can find all the answers in one place.