For your home

The law has changed. Your TV Licence now also covers you to download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer. Find out more

You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV. This includes the use of devices such as a TV, computer, mobile phone, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

It costs £145.50 for colour and £49.00 for a black and white TV Licence.

You usually need one TV Licence to cover your household. However, there are some situations when you’ll need more than one licence. The table below explains this in more detail.



Students Your halls of residence licence only covers communal areas. You need a separate TV Licence to watch or record TV, as it is being broadcast, in your room. If you live in a shared house, you need to check that you’re covered to watch TV, (this includes on a computer/laptop) in your room and communal areas. Even if your out-of-term address is licensed, you still might not be covered while you’re living in student accommodation.
Tenants and lodgers You need your own TV Licence if you have a separate tenancy agreement for your room. This will also cover the communal areas. If you have a joint tenancy agreement one TV Licence may cover the whole house.
Aged 74 and over You’re entitled to a free over 75 TV Licence when you turn 75. If you‘re 74, you can apply for a short-term licence to cover you up to your 75th birthday.
Care home residents Residents, staff and residents’ families all need a separate licence for their own living areas. Residents may qualify for a reduced fee TV Licence.
Blind (severely sight impaired) You’re entitled to a 50% reduced fee TV Licence if you’re blind (severely sight impaired).
Armed forces personnel You need a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV in MOD accommodation, on or off base. Your home TV Licence doesn’t cover you while you’re living on base, unless your equipment is powered solely by its own internal batteries.
Second home You may not be covered by your main home’s TV Licence. It depends on what type of second home you have.
Moving home If you have recently moved home, or you are just about to move, you need to let us know to make sure you remain licensed.